Impact Of Videogames On Child's Mind: Myth Or Reality
Nowadays almost every family has a computer. It is used for different operations: typing, searching necessary information, work implementation with the help of graphical editor etc. Many kids are greatly interested in computers and especially in playing videogames nowadays. Games help children to forget about the role of passive watchers and give them an opportunity to influence the events of virtual reality. But actual question arises: is playing videogames harmful or useful? That is why debates on this theme emerge in society, schools and families more often.
There is interaction between a person and videogames, while there is none with movies, books or performances. A kid is an active participant of a game. Anyway, it has certain impact on children especially at the moment when different competitions are held and teams fight for big cash prize. Videogames become a separate industry that graded up to movie industry or printing books.
Videogames are classified by different genres: action, adventure, role playing, arcade, strategy, simulation, driving and puzzle. These types can influence children in different ways. Some of videogames have negative impact on children and their development. Although each game has definite age limits, kids play the ones they are not allowed. Such videogames contain violent and sexual scenes, profanity. They influence children’s emotions and their social life.
Psychologists confirm negative influence of videogames on children but do not consider them to be the main problem. The core problem is parents’ indifference to interests of their children and what games they play. In this case, videogame is a tool of overcoming inner problems and worries referring to family relations. So, let’s make a list of negative factors of playing videogames:
- Addiction. Child’s mind is more liable to addiction. Videogames take part in forming of children’s addictive behavior that is characterized by aspiration for escaping from reality. A kid doesn’t solve important problems as well as one’s personality is not developing. Children take less interest in ordinary games and strive for virtual ones.
- Stress and overstrain. It can be the result of playing games for long period of time. Children can even have problems with sleep: they may have nightmares or insomnia.
- Social isolation. Videogames can cause decreasing number of children’s interests. They spend much time playing instead of doing their homework, communication with friends or visiting different clubs. Some kids may have problems with parents or friends. That is why they want to escape from real life through virtual reality where they become kings and queens. They get used to easy way of solving problems in a game, while real world provides great achievements and overpassing obstacles.
- Aggression and violence. Some types of videogames contain amounts of violent scenes like cruel fights or bloody murders. As it is known children are inclined to imitation. Playing videogames with violent content can cause changes in kids’ behavior in the worst way. They learn that they can harm without any punishment. Their sensual perception also changes: they can refuse or even ignore requests for help.
- Profanity. Children playing videogames that contain obscene language can learn bad words and use them.
- Health problems. Continuous playing and sitting in one position can cause skeletal and muscular disorders, problems with digestion and vision, nervous strain.
Summing up the written above, we can conclude that parents have to pay more attention to their kids, get interested in their lives and help to deal with their problems. Parents should also know what games their children play and determine limits of time they spend at computer or display. You may find more information about it using our service.
Most of scientists analyzing impact of videogames consider it as ambivalent: on the one hand, some of videogames form compulsive addiction and encourage removal from social life. On the other hand, they help in evolving coordination, concentration, proficiency, creativity, logical thinking. There are interesting and useful games that teach children to read, count, draw, give knowledge in different spheres. Let’s make a list of positive sides of videogames:
- Education. Each game requires good memory, ability to count and think logically. Before starting to play a game, a child should examine its rules, keep them in mind and learn their use. Simulation of real events may also be a teaching process. Some videogames can teach a child to plan actions and events, other ones give useful information about world history and importance of different discoveries. There are various interesting teaching programs for children of any age.
- Reading. Some games require reading skills for playing them successfully. Parents may forbid their kids to play a certain game while they cannot read necessary words. It can be good motivation to master such skill.
- Fun. Visiting various clubs can overstrain children nowadays. That is why videogame can help to get relaxed and to get rid of mental strain. Videogames give kids possibility to play the role of ruler of the world and invent their own rules. This process is interesting and exciting.
- Research and observation. Many parents are afraid of various hazards (dangerous insects as well as maniacs) which are waiting for their kids outside. That is why children spend much time at home. Videogames show them new worlds where they can evolve their intellectual skills. It is very significant for children.
- Coordination development. It is the most obvious use of videogames. Reaction rate and ability to make precise decisions are important for most of games. They can teach and develop child’s orientation skills.
- Competition. Unfortunately, most of children are weak in traditional competitions like sport. But each person strives for rivalry. Videogames help kids to compete in various situations like a fight between real and virtual people, for example. Children have possibility to win in different situations: to be the first in finishing the game, to get the victory or just to collect game bonuses. These achievements seem meaningless for parents but they are very significant for children.
- Survival and victory. Many videogames are considered to be cruel. Mission of these games is not murders and violence as it seems for the first sight. Their main task is survival. Sometimes while watching a movie you may wish to appear on the other side of a screen and to help the main character. Children playing videogames have an opportunity to do this and no one will be hurt.
- Healing. Videogames can help a child to get rid of worries before surgery and to deal with disease and pain. Some people consider it to be a good distraction. No matter how you name it, playing videogames is very effective method of healing. It concerns children as well as adults.
- Social development. A videogame can be a uniting factor for a family. Amounts of games allow several people to play the same mission at the same time. Most of children join clubs of virtual players to play a certain game through Internet.
So, what conclusion can we make out of given information? Although some types of videogames can cause bad behavior, violence and aggression, there are a lot of cognitive and developing games. They help to broaden child’s outlook and common knowledge, to evolve logical thinking and creativity, orientation and planning actions. Parents should be considerate towards their kids and their interests and preferences in videogames.